Lately, I’ve been determined to make more room in my pantry, so I’m making a concerted effort to use ingredients I already have to plan my meals. It’s kind of like an overcrowded closet…until you start cleaning it out, you really don’t even know what all you’ve got! Such is the case with my pantry, so when I ran across some organic red quinoa, I decided it was time to make a meal! Hubby had the Traeger Smoker fired up and ready to smoke some chicken breasts, so I thought a nice healthy quinoa salad topped with a bit of protein sounded like perfect way to top of a beautiful day of sunshine!
Spicy Quinoa Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 1 Cup Organic Red Quinoa (or use any quinoa you like)
- 2 cups chicken broth (can use vegetable broth or water)
Rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking. Combine broth and quinoa and pinch of salt in medium saucepan. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ – ½ serrano pepper, minced (can use jalepeno for milder spice or omit altogether)
- 1 lime, zested then juiced
- drizzle of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Combine cucumber, tomatoes, mint, shallot, serrano, lime zest and lime juice. Toss together, and drizzle with olive oil. Add cooked quinoa, fold to combine and add salt & pepper to taste. Add more lime juice if desired.
- If you like this recipe, feel free to Tweet it, Facebook it, or just email it by clicking the “share” button below.