Nothing says summertime quite like a sweet watermelon, and right now, they’re at their peak! Watermelon is incredibly healthy and an excellent source of lycopene. If you’re not quite sure just how to pick out a watermelon, click here.
I love having some cut up in the fridge to snack on, but I also love it in salads. The mint and watermelon in this salad are an amazing combination and the mint is key, so don’t leave it out. Baby arugula is always my choice since it’s milder in flavor than the bigger, more mature kind. If you’re planning a BBQ for the upcoming 4th of July holiday, consider this salad. It’s a great crowd pleaser and really easy to put together!
Watermelon, Arugula & Feta Salad
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1/8th seedless watermelon, rind removed, and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces good feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) whole fresh mint leaves, julienned
Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly to form an emulsion. If not using within an hour, store the vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator.
Place the arugula, watermelon, feta, and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well. Taste for seasonings and serve immediately.
This salad is only as good as the ingredients you choose. Make sure you have a really sweet watermelon. It makes a world of difference!