The other day I went digging through some of my old recipes and found this one. Since I’m always on the lookout for tasty side dishes, and I had some cubed butternut squash in the fridge, I decided it was time to cook it up. I forgot just how delicious this dish really is, and with the addition of apples, cinnamon and nutmeg, your kitchen smells divine! If you can find the squash already cubed in your grocery store, it will save you time in the kitchen. This dish took minimal time to prepare and only 20 minutes to cook. In that 20 minutes, I cut up a store-bought roasted chicken and threw together a salad. Voila! Dinner in 30 minutes. Now that’s my idea of fast food! 🙂
Honey Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples and Pecans
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium baking apple, peeled, cored and cubed to same size as squash
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablelspoons honey
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg and cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400°. Place cubed squash and apple in 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons water and roast uncovered 20 minutes. Mix next 5 ingredients and pour over squash. Roast another 10 minutes or until cooked through.
1. If you can’t find already cubed squash in your grocery store, buy a whole one and check out this link to learn how to peel and cube your own.
Filed under: SIDES, SAUCES & CONDIMENTS | Tagged: butternut squash, healthy fast food, honey roasted butternut squash with apples and pecans, How to peel and cut a butternut squash, meal in under 30 minutes, squash dish |