We recently returned from a fabulous trip to Stocking Island, a hidden jewel located in the Bahamas. We stayed at the St. Francis Resort, a wonderful, quaint little place with only EIGHT rooms. How we managed to snag one of those rooms, I’ll never know. I think we just got lucky!
George and Jill are the proprietors of this little slice of heaven, and they are the perfect hosts. You truly feel welcome and part of the “local family” as soon as you arrive.
The beaches are private and pristine, and the water is gin clear! There is world class bone fishing and snorkeling along the beautiful reefs and two blue holes that are very close by. We kayaked, sailed, hiked and many times just relaxed with a book on the beach. Thanks Jill and George…We can’t wait to return!
I love the local food in the Caribbean and this salad takes me back to “island time”. It’s quick, easy and full of flavor!
Black Bean Salad
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3/4 cup scallion (both green and white parts), thinly sliced
- 1-2 fresh serrano peppers, diced **(see notes)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt to taste
In large bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, scallion, serrano and cilantro. In separate small bowl, whisk olive oil and lemon juice together and add to remaining ingredients. Stir to combine, and salt to taste.
- Jalapeno peppers can be substituted for serranos if milder heat is preferred. Peppers can be omitted altogether for no heat.
- Do not substitute jarred or pickled peppers for fresh.
Filed under: "MAIN MEAL" SALADS, APPETIZERS & BEVERAGES, SIDES, SAUCES & CONDIMENTS, SOUPS, STEWS, SALAD & BREAD | Tagged: Bahamas, black bean salad, black bean side dish, black beans, cherry tomatoes, corn, Main Meal Salad, St. Francis Resort, Stocking Island, tomatoes |