I have 8 more days of being able to sleep past 6:15 am! Eight more days until school starts back up. Ugh! Not that I’m counting, or anything, but I REALLY DO ENJOY SUMMER!…not having to get up at the crack of dawn, not having to constantly be asking, “Have you started your homework?…Have you FINISHED your homework?…Do you even know what homework YOU HAVE?” LOL! Summer is so laid-back for us…hanging out at the pool, having friends over to grill, the list goes on and on. I really don’t have time now for another trip before school starts, so in an effort to pretend I was in the Caribbean tonight, I made a recipe from a new cookbook I purchased, called Cooking Light-Cooking through the Seasons. In keeping with my summer theme of “Main Meal Salads”, I tried one of their summer recipes called “Mango Rice Salad with Grilled Shrimp”. It was a nice blend of sweet (a little coconut milk in the rice added some sweetness along with the diced mango) and spicy (the shrimp are marinated for about an hour in a few different spices, one being red pepper which I kicked up a few notches!) Instead of heading out to the grill, I decided to roast my shrimp on a sheet pan instead, and they turned out great! If you don’t have the time to make it down to the islands this summer, try the next best thing, and cook up a little island food!
Mango Rice Salad with Grilled Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 36 shrimp)
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3/4 cups shredded carrot
- 2 cups diced peeled mango (about 2 mangoes)
- 1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Bring water and coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Add carrot and next 7 ingredients; toss gently to combine.
- Prepare grill or grill pan to medium high heat. (Or pre-heat oven to 400° and roast shrimp for 8-10 minutes).
- Thread shrimp onto each of 12 (6 inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack or grill pan coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Serve kebabs over salad. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Note: I roasted my shrimp in a 400° oven for 10 minutes. They were perfect!