I love Memorial Weekend! It’s a time for sun, fun & relaxation out by the pool! We fire up the grill, have some friends over and just enjoy some down time…unplugged. After a night of a little TOO much fun, I was looking for a refreshing drink (minus the alcohol) to enjoy out by the pool…something other than the usual water or tea. After looking around my kitchen, the big juicy watermelon was calling out to me. Hmmmmmm….I’d heard about watermelon water, otherwise known in Mexico as “Aqua Fresca”, but I’d never made it before. I have lots of fabulous mint growing around my pool, so I figured I couldn’t go wrong with watermelon, mint, maybe some fresh lime juice, sugar & water. The perfect solution for a refreshing drink! Happy Memorial Day everyone!
Watermelon Agua Fresca-Liz Style
- 1 seedless watermelon, peeled & cubed
- approx 1/2 Cup fresh lime juice, or to taste
- approx 1/2 Cup water
- approx 1/4 – 1/2 Cup superfine sugar, or to taste (can use artificial sweetener, as well)
- several stalks of fresh mint, muddled
Place a portion of the cubed watermelon in blender and process until liquified. Continue with remaining watermelon. Strain through a sieve, pressing on solids to release all juice. Discard solids. Place juice back in blender, add water, lime juice & sugar. Blend, then put into a tall pitcher with the muddled mint. Let sit a while in the fridge to allow the mint to release some flavor. Serve over ice and garnish with mint leaves and lime if desired.
1. Muddling mint is the process of bruising the leaves so they release their flavor. Merely taking several stalks, mashing & twisting them between your hands will do the trick.
2. Watermelons will vary in sweetness, so the amount of sugar needed will vary with each one.